Satan, the enemy of God, set himself to corrupt this beautiful world by convincing Adam and Eve to disobey God's command. We read in Romans 5:12 these words, "Wherefore as by one man sin entered into the world and death by sin, and so death has passed upon all men for that all have sinned". The curse of sin was not only passed on mankind, but also on animals and nature itself. We now see much tragedy, sorrow and heartache all around us.
Thankfully, God still loved the world and before the earth was formed or man was created, God had a plan in place to redeem us. That plan meant God sending His only begotten son to take the punishment for our sin. The Lord Jesus took on a body of flesh so he could die a vicarious death by shedding His blood on the cross. While hanging there, God made Christ's soul a sacrifice for our sins. That offering was accepted by the justice of God and Redemption was purchased allowing all who repent, and trust in that all sufficient sacrifice, to have forgiveness of sins and a place in heaven.
Because we are now redeemed, Satan is constantly attacking us day by day. In Eph. 6: 12, Paul tells us that we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world.
Paul instructs us to take on the whole armour of God to enable us to withstand the fiery darts of Satan. He lists six weapons provided by God as follows:
1. The helmet of Salvation. It's Salvation, purchased at great cost, which provides us with the only way to heaven.
2. The belt of truth. God expects faithfulness on our part; we must hold fast to the Truth which God has given to us in His Holy Scriptures.
3. The Breastplate of righteousness. Our Lord was the example of this, Isaiah 59:17 says, "For he put on righteousness as a breastplate, and a helmet of salvation upon his head".
4. Our feet shod with the gospel We should be quick to bring the glorious gospel of Jesus Christ to others, plain and simple, not adding to it, nor taking from it.
5. The Shield of faith. We are told in 1 John 5:4, "this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith". Without faith it is impossible to please God, with faith we cannot fail.
6. The sword of the spirit. Heb.4:12 says, "For the word of God is quick and powerful, sharper than any two edged sword piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit and of the joints and marrow and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
God has graciously provided all we need to enable us to live lives pleasing to Him. We, however, should be aware that as Christians we shall all appear before the judgement seat of Christ, there we will receive from Him what is due to us for the deeds done in the body, whether it be good or bad. 2 Cor.5:10